Thursday, October 05, 2006

Oysters

I suddenly had a massive craving for oysters on the halfshell... mmmmmmmmm!

It got me thinking about seafood and how some people don't like it. I used to HATE seafood, ESPECIALLY anything raw i.e. oysters. But then suddenly it all changed, I guess around 19-20.

I just thought about eating an oyster (with tobasco sauce!!!! NYAH!!!!) and wondered what the experience must be like for someone who'd never had an oyster until adulthood. And that got me wondering why I like them at all. They're squishy and the thought of a faceless bivalve mollusk sliding around on your tongue is terribly unappealing. I mean, wow, really, I'd probably puke if I never had one earlier, or if I wasn't well-acquainted with other members of Phylum Mollusca.

But it isn't the texture that does it (of course). It's the salty sea water that covers these guys in their halfshells that drives me wazoo. The taste of an oyster makes me think of the taste of the sea. It kinda kicks in this olefactory sensation of the smell of sea breeze and lapping waves. Yummm. All of that in one little half of a shell. Who woulda thunkit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home